Recipe (makes about 34 biscotti)
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup good unsweeetened ground cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar *
2 large eggs
2 tsp good vanilla extract
3/4 cups of dark chocolate chips
1 cup peeled roasted filberts, halved or crushed
Note: *I add 1/4 cup black coffee to the sugar for a richer chocolate taste.
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In bowl, add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the softened unsalted butter with mixer on medium speed until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
Add the sugar and *black coffee and mix on high speed until combined (about 1 minute). Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla extract.
4. On low speed, add the flour mixture in two additions. Make sure the batter comes together in a ball. Make sure the flour is blended.
5. Add the dark chocolate chips and the nuts.
6. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
7. Prepare your cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpad.
8. Roll each ball into a log, the dough will be pliable, so even it out and make them the same width and 3 inches apart.
9. Bake them for 30-40 minutes on center rack. Logs should be firm to the touch. They will have cracks as well. (That's fine.)
10. Remove from oven and while still warm, slice each log at 3/4 inch slices using a sharp knife on a slight angle. Leave space between each slice.
11. Lower the temperature to 300 degrees. Bake the slices for 10 minutes. Biscotti should be dry.
12. Place them on a cooling rack.
You can leave them plain or drizzle a thin layer of chocolate glaze. You can make it by placing 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips in a small bowl. Place in microwave to melt, checking and stirring every 30 seconds until spreading consistency. Drizzle each biscotti on top and let dry.
Enjoy with some nice esspresso or cappuccino!